Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Lebanese humour...and security

Maybe some of you have seen the slogan of the so-called "cedar revolution" (of course nobody calls it that here except some very nationalist activists I think; it's either the 14th March movement, or the 8th March movement, depending on where you stand on the issue of Lebanese-Syrian relations). It's these posters or stickers:



Now check out the latest advertising campaign by a well-known French fashion store chain, to be found all over town at the moment:


Pretty funny, these Lebanese.... Btw: I took this last picture just outside the supermarket near my house. One of the approx. 15 security guards (a very lucrative economic sector in Lebanon, it seems!) at the door noticed me doing this, so I had to leave my camera with the security at the entrance. I mean, what are they thinking??? It's a supermarket!! Am I going to snoop around to check whether they've clandestinely imported avocadoes from Israel and then publish the pictures to denounce them? This is crazy. I tried to engage the security guard in a discussion about this, obviously to no effect. Ever since I was physically assaulted by several "security" people at the marathon for trying to take a shortcut around the nonsensical, omnipresent barriers after the event was over, my patience with all things security is really running low. Maybe I'm just paranoid but these guys really do seem to enjoy holding up female foreigners. But it's no use because it's everywhere and for a good reason I suppose, so everyone has to put up with it and accept it. Still...

No comments: